Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Quit Smoking - Part 2

Today is the 17th day that my body is free from nicotine. By 11pm tonight, it will be the 18th day that my body is free from nicotine.

Is it significant? You can bet it is, for me, at least.

Do I still long for cigarettes? Yes I do. And in a day, there will be a few cravings.

Do I feel healthier? Do not feel a thing.

What is the difference? Well, to start with I am saving money. And I am eating healthier, because in replacement of the cigarettes, I eat a lot more fruits. I am already a fruit eater even when I was a smoker, now I eat more.

Second, freedom. Yes, freedom, meaning for a lot of times, I am not dependent on smokes to live my life. As I explained in my previous article, in a lot of ways, cigarettes are involved and intertwined with our daily, weekly, monthly, yearly activities. Or maybe even some activities that are out of the blue, like a funeral, or a party, these activities involves smoking. And a lot of those activities, I have learned to attend to them without smokes. And there will be a lot more activities or situation that I will be experiencing for the first time without smokes, so only when I go through these activities for a few more times, will I be totally comfortable and free from the thought of smoking. But surely, I am getting there, despite the cravings on and off.

And third, I think I am calmer. My temperament got better. I do not get irritated or work-up over a certain things. I think because when I was a smoker I feel the need to smoke in order to get through something, and if I am deprive of the smoke, I would suffer from withdrawal effect and thus, easily irritated.

And finally, I feel that I have a better life and able to enjoy whatever I do without having to think about cigarettes at every juncture. I am about to rid myself from having to carry cigarettes and thinking about cigarettes when I am with my family. This is important. These 2 weeks, I am able to enjoy the company of my family without having to sneak out to have a smoke. I am able to immerse myself with them without having a need to break for ciggie. Is a nice situation to be in.

So all good and I need to continue this streak. And stay strong. Is very important for me, too important for me. I am determine to keep my commitment of never to take another puff.

No comments:

Post a Comment